In 1787 the same year that Prussian troops invaded our country and besieged Amsterdam, rope maker Andries de Jong settled on the Singel opposite the Munttoren. A true artisan, who processed yarn into a rope along a line. His name would forever be associated with this store, which grew into a ship supplies and related business. His house can be seen on a painting by Isaac Ouwater (1750-1793) 'View of the Singel and the Munttoren'. It gives an impression of what his surroundings looked like at the time. Around beautiful houses and here and there a single walker. A graceful carriage drawn by two white horses with a palfrenier that goes up the narrow bridge between the Singel and the Binnen-Amstel. On the water it is a lot busier with sailing ships and cargo boats. They all needed rope of course. Until the mid-twentieth century there was still a port here. Now after more than two centuries the environment has changed radically. The four storey retail building of Andries de Jong is at the end of the busiest part of Singelgracht and, except for one house, on the corner of Kalverstraat. Due to various expansions, the narrow bridge of once became the widest bridge in Amsterdam, the current Muntplein. The traffic rushes from all sides, every 15 minutes drowned by the jubilant sounds of the carillon of the Munttoren. The flower market has been on the other side since 1862.
All those changes took place right in front of this special store. Andries de Jong Jr. did in 1847. the rope shop to his brother-in-law G. Blokhuis and to Johan Lodewijk Krom. The latter heralds the Krom period, which continues to this day. Now it is Ian Krom, the 5e generation of the family who run the business and the 7e generation in a row from owners since the foundation. Over time, Andries de Jong became a supplier of tarred and non-tarred rope work, hoisting blocks, anchors, steel wire ropes, packing and binding ropes, ship's supplies and brass bar and stair railings for use in the hospitality industry. The Amsterdam flag has been in top form for thirty years, because Andries de Jong is traditionally known as a supplier of banners, flags and pennants, which by the way were made for years in his own studio on the Spui 26. (text: Els van Wageningen, look for more about our history and other Amsterdam stores on www.winkelstories.com)